06 May 2010

Happy Mothers Day Momma

My mother is sweet like sugar and sassy like lemons, so for Mother's Day I'm gonna make her these beautiful Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. I frequent Cannelle et Vanielle, the most beautiful food blog I've ever seen. Her pictures are stunning and every post is cheery and fresh. This will be my first attempt at one of her recipes. Wish me luck ;)


 I'm gluten tolerant and like to indulge in all the flour I can eat, so to make this recipe gluten filled, all you have to do is use add up all the flour amounts and use all purpose flour instead. Omit the xanthan gum and use melted and cooled butter instead of olive oil.

Soaked Lemon, Poppy Seed and Olive Oil Cakes
(Gluten and Casein Free)                                                                                                  
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract (gluten free)
1 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/2 cup millet flour
2 Tbs tapioca starch
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbs poppy seeds
1 cup olive oil (I used Arbequina)

Lemon Syrup
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar

Whip the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract for about 5 minutes until they are light and thick.In a bowl, whisk together, the flours, xanthan gum, salt and poppy seeds. Fold the dry into the whipped egg mixture. Be gentle not to deflate the batter too much.Take about 1/2 cup of the batter and whisk it with the olive oil. Incorporate this to the main batter and fold gently. Pour into baking cups and bake at 350F for about 18-20 minutes.

In the meantime, make the simple syrup by boiling the lemon juice and sugar. When the cakes come out and are still warm, poke holes on the top and brush them with the lemon simple syrup until well soaked.

*Pictures and recipe via Cannelle et Vanille*

Love you momma!
P.S. Will you help me make these?

No comments:

Post a Comment