13 December 2010

Tis' the Season for Sugar

My absolute favorite part about Christmas are the Christmas cookies that come out of the woodwork during this time of year. I love Russian Tea Cakes, the peanut butter ones with the Hersey kiss in the middle, but my absolute favorite . . . sugar cookies!


I was overwhelmed by gluten free cookie recipes that included up to five different types of flours and a little thing called xanthan gum (what is this stuff??).



So when I stumbled upon Sugar Plum's Gluten Free Sugar Cookie, that didn't have a page list of ingredients, I jumped for joy! The secret . . . cream cheese. I know, it threw me too. I used Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour, but any white or brown rice flour will work.



Be warned, the dough will be stickier then your typical sugar cookie dough. Use a hearty amount of flour when rolling them out. They will also be whiter and more fluffy than other recipes.



I was literally in shock when I compared these cookies to our flour filled ones. I liked them 10x better and I know you will too!!! I took a giant plate to work  today, mixed the GF with the regular and the teachers were totally tricked!



Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
By Emily, Sugar Plum Blog

1 1/2 cups white rice flour
2 teaspoons meringue powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat cookie sheets with cooking spray.

To make the cookies, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together white rice flour, meringue powder, baking powder and salt. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, cream cheese and granulated sugar until creamy - about 1-2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture until combined. Chill dough for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator, or until firm.

Sprinkle additional rice flour on a work surface, and roll out in batches, to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out heart shapes and place on cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light golden and set. Cool 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. there are lots of traditional recipes i will never return to, because g-free alternatives taste better. so you go girl with your new sugar cookie find! ;)

    ReplyDelete