02 December 2009

Tis' the Season for Long Lines

Italian Cured Meat Sandwich, $9.00

A line outside of an establishment always means there is something delicious waiting for you inside. For the more tightly wound folk (my father), lines equal stress, anxiety, crowded places with inadequate safety exits and a change of plans. So you can imagine my dismay when, after circling a few times on Morrison, trying to find Bunk Sandwich that when we did and there was a line, I was in for some confrontation. Automatically he wanted to leave and go to Meat, Cheese, Bread (next on my sandwich endeavors). No, no no, I protested, just as I did when I was a child. I was determined to try a Bunk sandwich and the line only made me want it more.




After only a few minutes we were in the door and able to see their sandwich board—an entire wall turned into a chalkboard, with daily changing sandwiches. The shop is pretty small, with a handful of tables inside and out and a small bar with a about 8 or so stools. The roast beef with caramelized onions, horseradish and cheddar caught my eye. But then so did the Italian cured meats with Mama’s lil’ peppers and provolone. And if I hadn’t been so sick of turkey from the Thanksgiving, their roasted Turkey with Grandma’s sage sausage stuffing looked amazing as well. This is a sandwich shop that thinks outside the box. How do you feel about Grilled Chicken with Romaine, Garlic-Anchovy Vinaigrette & Spicy Avocado Dressing? Or what about Fried Mortadella with Teleme and Green Apple Mustard, Beans and Cornbread or Oxtail Confit with Celery & Hot Pepper Relish?


We settled on splitting the Italian cured meat sandwich. It came out on a black tray with butcher paper on top. Simple and to the point, with a handful of Kettles chips on the side. The sandwich was oozing olive oil, the meat slightly warmed and the provolone melted onto the rustic sub roll. The Mama’s Lil’ peppers were spicy hot and a perfect pairing with the salty salami and prosciutto.

I can’t wait to go back and try more of these sandwich geniuses’ daily creations! I would say it’s even worth the wait. You may be thinking that $9 is a little steep for a sandwich. You must understand these are gourmet sandwiches, made by people that call themselves: sandwich aficionados. You are paying for quality ingredients and more than anything a sandwich that’s out of the ordinary. Check out more of their “possible” specials online.



Bunk Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment